Then Amazon announced the release of K3 (third generation) and said there would be two options
1) K3 Wifi only connection - this means you MUST have a wifi connection at home (or go to a place with free wifi) to download your books and connect to Amazon (without using the USB) - $139
2) K3 3G which would act like the K2... a 3G connection to Amazon wherever you are in the world (that can get a signal)... for life. $189
That news kicked me into gear! I got a Kindle for myself (the wifi only version - because I am often at home when choosing my books and wifi would be all I needed). Then we got Kindles for our DDs for Christmas and 1 for my MIL too!
THEN Kindle announced their KSO (Kindle Special Offer) which means that you will have to have advertisements sent to your Kindle forever. The ads are not going away (for those people who ask how to upgrade to a regular). There is no upgrade... you either have a KSO or you don't. If you don't want the ads then order a regular K3. But I've asked around and have been told that the ads are not bothersome and they never appear in your reading (just on the home screen and the screen savers). These were priced at $114 (for wifi only) and $164 (for the 3G version). When they were released.
NOW - Amazon Kindle has made a deal with AT&T for the KSO 3G that will make it an even better deal. It will now be only $139 - that is the same price as a K3 wifi only - that is a great deal!
... from their official press release:
"Kindle 3G is by far the fastest-growing connected device on the AT&T network. We consistently hear from customers how much they enjoy the freedom of not being tied to a Wi-Fi hotspot and instead being able to download and read new books anytime, anywhere on AT&T's fast, reliable network," said Ralph de la Vega, President and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "We are excited to sponsor Amazon's best Kindle - Kindle 3G with Special Offers - at the new lower price of only $139."
Kindle 3G includes all the same features that helped make the third-generation Kindle the #1 bestselling e-reader in the world:
- Free 3G wireless, no annual contracts, no monthly fees
- Global 3G coverage means books in under 60 seconds in over 100 countries and territories
- Paper-like Pearl electronic ink display, no glare even in bright sunlight
- Lightweight body for hours of comfortable reading with one hand
- Kindle Store with over 950,000 books - largest selection of the most popular books
- Seamless integration with free "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle apps for iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, BlackBerry and Windows Phone